Art and Design makes a unique contribution to college life and to the learning experience of all students. Art is for everyone, not only those who are considered naturally talented, since everyone is capable of creative and aesthetic responses to their environment. For this reason it is important that within a student’s overall education there is an opportunity to be creative and to express individual thoughts, ideas and opinions in a variety of ways. Art and Design teaching should make its contribution to this by developing within students an awareness of their visual world and the cultures that have shaped it. Courses also promote decision making, time management and problem-solving while also developing practical skills. Art and Design is therefore an essential component of the curriculum for all our students.
In order to provide an environment in which learning can take place and to develop courses which are relevant, the department has set out aims with respect to the students, college and the local authority.
In year 7 and 8 students have one lesson per week taught by a specialist art teacher. In year 9 students will have opted to either take art as their first choice specialism (2 hours) or their second choice specialism (1 hour). If students do not opt to take art in year 9 then they cannot opt for it in years 10 or 11. 10 and 11 students will have opted to take Art and Design and will receive three hours per week. We now offer a GCSE Photography and Textiles option for years 10 and 11. Students are also offered an extensive amount of extra-curricular activities at DCC, this includes a compulsory period 6 for year 11.
In Years 7 and 8 students’ learning is based around the basic fundamental art and design skills.
Baseline assessment-the focus is assessing where students are in terms of their basic drawing ability and artistic knowledge.
Henri Matisse-the focus skill is collage & composition.
Aboriginal Art-the focus skill is painting.
Egyptian cartouche-the focus skill is 3D.
Abstract Art/Sonia Delaunay-the focus skill is oil pastel blending.
African masks-the focus skill is 3D work.
Michael Craig-Martin-the focus skills are drawing & the use of paint.
Aspire (Introduction to KS4)
In Year 9, students have the opportunity to study 2 specialisms from the following Art and Design, Dance, Drama or Music.
Graffiti-the focus skill is mixed media.
Hundertwasser-the focus skill is textiles, specifically looking at silk painting.
Personal project-the focus skills are independent learning/preparation for the GCSE.
In Year 10 and 11, students have the opportunity to study GCSE Art & Design, Photography or Textiles. Candidates must show that they have done the following:
– Researched into a given theme.
– Produced good quality drawings on a chosen theme.
– Looked at a range of different artists, cultures and designers and used their work to influence their own.
– Developed and explored ideas and processes reviewing and modifying their work as it progresses.
– Shown a personal response to a given theme.
Students will complete coursework projects in class, period 6 and at home. The coursework is worth 60% of the final GCSE grade awarded and at the end of year 11 students will do an exam project which makes up the remaining 40%.
Baseline assessment-the focus is assessing where students are in terms of their basic drawing skills. Sweets/food-the focus skill is 3D construction.
Sea life/natural forms-the focus skills are textiles and mixed media.
Portraits-the focus skills are mixed media experiments, developing various art techniques.
Zentangle/portraits-the focus skills are texture, 2D & repeat patterns.
Exam paper-the focus areas are developing independent learning and it is worth 40% of the final GCSE grade.
Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural Development
Art in education aims to promote:
The development of a wide range of individual capacities, which include:
– The aesthetic aspect of intelligence which is no less important than the cognitive as a mode of understanding
– The ability to think and act creatively, to use initiative and to be able to select, refine and apply ideas and materials in an innovative way
– A wide range of physical, perceptual, personal and social skills
Increase personal fulfilment and self-confidence and a developed social awareness and competence, through co-operative group work which also promotes:
A deeper understanding of society and its cultural values by developing:
- Positive images of different cultures
- Understanding and awareness of a wide variety of styles and forms of art
- Acceptance and appreciation of differences between cultural forms
- The ability to examine and re-examine the values of society through artistic expression
Lead Teacher of Art & Design: Ms Preston-Webb
Teacher of Art & Design: Mr Babbage & Mrs Harris