Dear Parents and Carers
As the end of the academic year approaches I am writing to thank you all for your continued support in the education of your child.
The end of the academic year always brings a number of opportunities for students to get involved in events both in and outside of College and this year has been no exception. Our student leaders have been heavily involved with the organisation and running of a number of sports days in local primary schools. Our annual music and dance showcase ‘Dentonbury’ again demonstrated the depth of talent we have within the student body. The care and compassion of our students was clearly evident with the help and support they offered to the Year 6 students on their recent induction days. I would also like to take this opportunity to praise the impeccable behaviour of our students on the recent trip to Normandy. Learning is not restricted to the classroom and the opportunity for students to be involved in such events provides valuable enrichment to their education.
The vast majority of students at Denton Community College wear their uniform with pride and as always you have been very supportive of our high expectations regarding their appearance and behaviour. The suppliers of our uniform are TopForm by Monkhouse, 217 Chestergate, Stockport SK3 OAN, Tel 0161 476 7210. Monkhouse will be in College selling uniform during the Summer Holidays on the following dates and times:
- 31stJuly 2018 from 10.00am – 3.00pm
- 28thAugust 2018 from 10.00am – 3.00pm
Denton Community College Uniform
- Purple blazer (including College logo)
- Charcoal grey sweatshirt with green trim (optional item)
- College Tie
- White shirt or blouse, which buttons up to allow a tie to be clipped to the collar
- Charcoal grey (not BLACK) trousers fitted to the waist
- Charcoal grey (not BLACK) A-lined non-pleated skirt to the knee (tight, stretchy,jersey or lycra material will not be accepted)
- Black leather shoes with low heels which can be polished ( trainers, canvas pumps, mules, boots, sling backs will not be accepted)
- Plain black or charcoal socks or tights
Denton Community College Sports Kit:
- A unisex t- shirt with the College Logo
- Sweatshirt with College Logo (dance/drama)
- Black tracksuit (logo optional)
- Black shorts (logo optional)
- Black socks
Please note that extreme hair styles by colour or cut will not be permitted. Similarly, jewellery must not exceed a watch and one pair of stud earrings.Facial or other visible piercings are not allowed. The Local Authority and the College can accept no responsibility for the above items of jewellery if they are brought onto the premises.
Unfortunately a small minority of students may choose to not comply with the College uniform policy. I would like to reassure you that we will isolate or send these students home to modify their appearance.
At Denton Community College we recognise that mobile phones are part of everyday life for many children and that they can play an important role in helping pupils to feel safe and secure. We also recognise that mobile phones can be a fantastic tool for learning when students are properly educated and directed in their use. Mobile phones can however be a distraction in school and can provide a means of bullying or intimidating others. Therefore:
- Mobile phones must not be visible in classrooms or on corridors outside of break and dinner time unless directed by the teacher.
- Headphones must not be visible in classrooms or on corridors outside of break and dinner times and will not be directed in their use by teachers.
- If mobile phones and headphones are seen being used without permission students will be warned and asked to place these items in their bags.
- If a mobile phone or headphones remain visible then the item will be confiscated by the member of staff.
- Failure to hand over a confiscated mobile phone or headphones will be viewed as defiance and will be sanctioned in accordance with the College’s behaviour policy.
There is no reason for any student to have their mobile phone or headphones confiscated if compliant with the College’s systems and procedures. To ensure this is the case I advise mobile phones remain in school bags between 8.40am and 2.50pm.Confiscated phones and headphones will only be returned to parents or carers from our main reception after 3.30pm. External communications via mobile phone from home can be a distraction for students, I therefore ask that any messages be sent through our main reception on 0161 336 2219.
You may be aware that we have been trialling a few changes with regards to our lunch time arrangements. The rationale behind this has been to:
- Remove split lunches from the timetable.
- Remove disruptions to learning during period 4 caused by students during their unstructured time.
- Provide greater staff supervision of students during lunch time.
- Ensure a prompter start to period 5.
- Increase the choice of menu options for students.
We will review these changes once our new Year 7 students arrive to ensure all students are fed in a timely manner and can return to learning promptly at 1.50pm.
The end of an academic year always brings a number of goodbyes to several members of staff at the College. This year we wish the following staff well and thank them for their hard work with the education of the students of Denton:
Miss K Barratt
Mr J Bower
Mrs S Frith
Mr S Goldich
Miss C McConville
Mrs M Miller
Miss L Morgan
Miss R Patel
Miss S Reid
Mr D Smith
Mrs S Ward
This summer we say goodbye to our former Headteacher Mr Condliffe who is retiring after 35 years in the classroom. Mr Condliffe has spent the last 15 years striving for a better education for the young people of Denton and will always be remembered as the first Headteacher of Denton Community College. I would like to take this opportunity to pass on our thanks from the students, parents, teachers and governors at the school and wish him well for the future.
Finally arrangements for the end of this academic year are as follows. The last day of term is Friday 20thJuly and College will be finishing at the earlier time of 12.30pm for all students. Unfortunately buses will not be in operation therefore it is essential that alternative travel arrangements are made for your child. Students on free school meals will be able to use their lunch allowance to purchase food at break time.
The College will re-open for all students on Wednesday 5th September 2018. New Year 7 students will start at the usual time of 8.40am. All other students (Years, 8, 9, 10 and 11) should arrive at College at 10.00amand go straight to their form rooms.
Once again I would like to offer my thanks for your continued support of the College. I would also like to extend my best wishes to everyone for a well-deserved summer holiday and I look forward to welcoming back all of our students in September.