Art & Design

Aims

Art and design makes a unique contribution to college life and to the learning experience of all students. Art is for everyone, not only those who are considered naturally talented, since everyone is capable of creative and aesthetic responses to their environment. For this reason it is important that within a student's overall education there is an opportunity to be creative and to express individual thoughts, ideas and opinions in a variety of ways. Art and design teaching should make its contribution to this by developing within students an awareness of their visual world and the cultures that have shaped it. Courses also promote decision making, time management and problem-solving while also developing practical skills. Art and design is therefore an essential component of the curriculum for all our students.

 

In order to provide an environment in which learning can take place and to develop courses which are relevant, the department has set out aims with respect to the students, college and the local authority.

 

In year 7 and 8 students have one lesson per week taught by a specialist art teacher. In Year 9, students opt to take art and design and will either receive one hour or two hours per week, depending on their preference. In year 10 and 11 again students will have opted to take art and design and will receive three hours per week. Students are offered an extensive amount of extra-curricular activities at DCC, including lunch and after collage clubs.

 

Inspire KS3

In Years 7 and 8 students’ learning is based around a thematic curriculum.

 

Year 7

Baseline project and Identity/Evacuees project-developing skills as a Team worker

Global Dimensions/Trainers project-developing skills as an Independent enquirer

Healthy lifestyles/Kandinsky project-developing skills as a reflective learner

Community participation project-developing skills as a-Effective participator

 

Year 8

Creativity and critical thinking /African mask project-developing skills as a creative thinker

Media and technology/actors project-developing skills as a reflective learner

Enterprise dance/music collaboration project-developing skills as a self-manager

 

Aspire (Introduction to KS4)

Year 9

In Year 9, students opt for art and design and the focus is placed on developing skills to ensure a success grade at GCSE level. All the projects aim to develop student’s research, drawing, mixed media and final/personal outcome skills

 

Graffiti project-graphic design project

Celebrity shoe-3D construction project

Hundertwasser-mixed media project

 

Perform KS4

In Year 10 and 11, students have the opportunity to study GCSE art & design. Candidates must show that they have done the following:

- Researched into a given theme.

- Produced good quality drawings on a chosen theme.

- Looked at a range of different artists, cultures and designers and used their work to influence their own.

- Developed and explored ideas and processes reviewing and modifying their work as it progresses.

- Shown a personal response to a given theme.

 

Students will complete coursework projects in class and at home. The coursework is worth 60% of the final GCSE grade awarded and at the end of year 11 pupils will do an exam project which makes up the remaining 40%.

 

Year 10

Introduction to the GCSE course-to develop knowledge of the course and assessment criteria

Egyptian art-3D construction project

Insects and bugs-mixed media project

 

Year 11

Portraits-2D/fine art project

Exam-students decide which discipline they want to develop; it is a personal project that requires the student to be an independent learner.

Coursework clinic-catch up/development

 

Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development

Art in education aims to promote:

The development of a wide range of individual capacities, which include:

- The aesthetic aspect of intelligence which is no less important than the cognitive as a mode of understanding

- The ability to think and act creatively, to use initiative and to be able to select, refine and apply ideas and materials in an innovative way

- A wide range of physical, perceptual, personal and social skills

 

Increase personal fulfilment and self-confidence and a developed social awareness and competence, through co-operative group work which also promotes:

- Tolerance

- Respect

- Empathy

- Sensitivity

- Responsibility

 

A deeper understanding of society and its cultural values by developing:

· Positive images of different cultures

· Understanding and awareness of a wide variety of styles and forms of art

· Acceptance and appreciation of differences between cultural forms

· The ability to examine and re-examine the values of society through artistic expression.

 

Lead Teacher of Art & Design:  Mrs Maria Johnson

Teacher of Art & Design: Ms Mills